How To Rename Multiple Files In Your Windows At Once?
It is easy to rename a file name if you just have to do it a few times. It’s very tedious to handle more than five files — this is my threshold — particularly if you want to follow a certain format.
For such circumstances, you can use the Bulk Rename Utility to rename a variety of images, diagrams, screenshots, word documents, etc. This tool contains advanced features that allow you to add/replace the text with a timestamp and more, in accordance with the lower/upper case.
The app is free for personal use only.
What do you need to rename the Files?
- Download Bulk Rename utility and install it from www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk
- Use it as per your requirement.
How to use those functions in Bulk Rename Utility(BRU)?
- Replace filename characters
- Replace the file name characters
- Start BRU
- The GUI consists of a side panel, from which you can navigate to the folder containing the files to be renamed and the adjacent section mentioned in the selected folder. These two panels contain a host of functions that you can use to rename your files. Let’s see if any of these can be used.
- Choose the files to rename. Select Fixed from the drop-down list in the “Name (2)” line.
- Select the name you want to use for the selected files in the empty text box below. You will see how in the “New Name” column the file name would look.
- Next, after this ‘new name,’ we’ll add a number. In the “Numbering (10)” segment, make the start to have the value “1” with “1” increments and “suffix” mode.
- Check again “New Name” above and press the Preview button to see if your preferences have updated. To complete the process, press Rename.
- Remove any text from the name of a file:
- Delete text from the name of a file:
- Say, just rename some text and replace it with numbers from the name of the file. In the segment “Remove (5),” insert a number in the fields “First” or “Last n.” We entered 9 in the latter here. The last 9 characters in the name of the file will be deleted.
- Similarly, the Add (7) segment allows you to add text.
- Take the same steps for previewing and renaming the files (5).
- Substitute text:
- You can make the BRU fit characters in a file name with the “Replace (3)” segment and replace them with a new set.
- Date of insertion:
- In the Add Date (8) field, select the box.
- Choose the format (day-mode-year, month-day-year, etc.) you want the date to show (Mode: suffix, prefix), or use a custom string.
Tip: If you want to keep intact the original filename, then use “Copy/Move to Location (13)” to copy or move the rebuilt files to a new location automatically.