Senior Scientist – Immunotherapeutic Design, Antibody Discovery | Pfizer
The Cancer Immunology Discovery (CID) group in La Jolla, CA is focused on the generation of large molecule immunotherapeutics that promote an anti-tumor activity or counter immunosuppression in the tumor microenvironment. CID’s efforts are supported by a world-class antibody generation program and a commitment to an effective biotherapeutic design that stresses both ingenuity and simplicity. Our team takes a holistic approach to understand the interplay of a tumor, stromal, and immune cells in the tumor microenvironment, striving to define the axes of intercellular communication that could be leveraged to generate novel therapeutics.
We are seeking a qualified candidate to join us at a Senior Scientist level to contribute to our antibody discovery and characterization activities for the identification of novel biotherapeutics. The successful candidate will work closely with individuals in antibody production, protein engineering and immunology/oncology groups to innovate and develop the next-generation of protein therapeutics for cancer immunotherapy.
The candidate should have expertise in medium to high throughput large molecule screening, cell culture, molecular cloning as well as protein production, purification and characterization.
- Responsible for applying hybridoma or display methods for discovery of antibodies with novel function to cancer-relevant targets.
- Design and build recombinant proteins for immunization and screening.
- Design and validate antibody binding, epitope binning, and functional activity assays.
- Sequence and reformat antibodies into other isotypes, species, and unconventional conformations (bispecific, scFv, tetravalent, etc.).
- Purify and analyze proteins and antibodies for form and function using both biophysical characterization and functional assays.
- Efficiently analyze and report data, with recommendations for next steps.
- Present research results and discuss methods at weekly and/or monthly group meetings.
- Ph.D. in immunology, molecular biology, cell biology or related discipline with a minimum of two years’ post graduate experience, or M.S. with 10 years’ relevant experience.
- Expertise in large molecule screening assay development for binding and functional activity.
- Hands-on experience with molecular biology techniques: DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, RT-PCR, cloning, vector design, DNA sequencing.
- Protein production by transient expression.
- Experience with protein/antibody purification, protein modification and biophysical characterization.
- Strong background in cell culture and in vitro assay.
- Skilled in expression library manipulation, and display technology.
- Hands-on experience with alternate antibody formats, e.g. bispecific, scFv, tetravalent.
- Experience with up to three-color flow cytometric screening and data analysis.
- Capable with methods for antibody affinity measurement and analysis (SPR or BLI).
- Experience with instruments such as fortebio Octet, GE AKTA Pure/Avant FPLC, Perkin-Elmer LabChip, Biacore T200 or 8K.
- Robotic liquid handler experience.
- Previous industry experience is strongly preferred.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address, and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer. Research and Development