Medical Content Writer – Patient Education | St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is committed to advancing the research and treatment of pediatric cancer and other catastrophic diseases. The Medical Content Outreach department creates patient and family education materials for the hospital’s campus, housing, and affiliate locations.
The Medical Content Writer works with subject matter experts and the Patient Education team to identify, develop, and edit content delivered to patients and families. This position is responsible for developing new content for printed, web, and other communication platforms. The Medical Writer will also provide input on visual media projects for patients and families, including video, photography, illustrations, and graphics.
Additional responsibilities include conducting literature reviews; developing surveys; and interviewing subject matter experts, patients, and family members. This role works collaboratively with various departments to create relevant, trustworthy, and understandable medical content for patients and family caregivers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, digital marketing, English or related field is required
- Four(4) years of experience with medical or science writing, ideally with experience in life sciences and including web writing
- Experience working in patient education, health education, or health communication preferred
- Experience in a science or healthcare environment preferred
- Experience with writing and editing blogs is a plus
- The ability to speak and write in Spanish is highly desired but not required
Applicant should have:
- Extensive knowledge of English grammar
- Familiarity with plain language and health literacy
- Familiarity with leading health and medical resources and organizations
- Experience adapting writing to a standard style guide
- Experience with collaborative writing and editing
- Ability to communicate health and medical information in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to understand and communicate medical and other complex information
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) certification is preferred